According to research, around 3-12% of the population gets a toenail fungal infection at some point in their lives. However, other factors put some people at a higher risk of getting a toenail fungal infection. For instance, older people and people with weaker immune systems are more likely to get nail fungal infections, requiring toenail fungus treatment.
Do you want to avoid getting a fungal nail infection? Here's everything you need to know about it.
Choose Your Shoes Wisely
The easiest way to get a toenail fungus infection is by constantly wearing closed, sweaty shoes. Therefore, you should choose shoes wisely and ensure that they don't make your feet sweaty. Here's how to choose footwear that will prevent fungal nail infections.
- Prefer wearing shoes that are made of materials like leather, mesh, or canvas. This will prevent fungi from growing in your shoes.
- Never wear shoes that are either too tight or too loose. Besides being uncomfortable, tight shoes facilitate sweating, leading to fungal nail infections.
Moreover, we recommend wearing flip-flops and sandals wherever possible. This allows your feet to breathe, keeping fungal infections at bay. If you’re specifically walking in areas with high humidity like near swimming pools or public showers, wearing a flip-flop or a sandal is the right choice.
Change and Disinfect Your Shoes Often
Despite being extra cautious in selecting and wearing shoes, you can still get a fungal nail infection. However, here are some tips that can keep your toenails clean.
- If you already have a nail fungal infection, get new footwear once your toenail fungus is treated. Fungi can remain in your footwear and cause another infection. However, if your footwear is expensive and you don’t want to throw it away, you can disinfect your shoes using any shoe sanitizer.
- We also recommend sprinkling antifungal nail powder in your shoes, especially if you participate in regular physical activity and get sweaty feet frequently. These nail powders can help prevent fungal growth in shoes.
- Always give your shoes more than 24 hours to dry out before wearing them again. Fungi grow in moist places, making it necessary for you to air out your shoes beforehand.
- Moreover, it’s essential to wear a new pair of socks every day. However, if your socks get sweaty more frequently, take them off as soon as you notice the dampness. You can also invest in moisture-wicking socks if you sweat a lot.
Take Care of Your Toenails and Feet
Lastly, we suggest taking good care of your toenails and feet to keep fungal nail infections away. Here are some foot and nail care tips.
- Keep your toenail short by clipping them regularly. This prevents fungal nail infections from getting under your nails.
- Always sanitize your nail clipper before using it. You can sanitize it using soap and water to wash away any germs present on it.
- Refrain from sharing nail clippers, shoes, and towels with others. These personal items can transfer fungal nail infections in the blink of an eye.
- Wash your feet every dayusing soap and water, and remember to clean between the toes and fingers. Ensure that your feet are dry before putting on shoes again. Moreover, you need to moisturize your feet as fungi can enter through the cracks in dry skin.
With the help of these tips, you can avoid getting a toenail fungal infection to some extent. However, if you still get one, you can get our toenail fungus treatment from Omiera Labs. Considered one of the best anti-fungal nail treatments, Podiazole eradicates toenail fungus and its symptoms quickly and more effectively than other products available in the market.
Reach out to us and order this nail fungus treatment at a 30% discount!
Back to News